Yesterday I felt a need for soup. I didn’t have a lot of time, so I went for easy options. Canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and canned puréed butternut squash, pumpkin, and sweet potato are handy to have on hand and would work well for this recipe.
Look for cans of purée with no other ingredients. I find mine at Whole Foods Market and my local health food store.
1. Pour beans into a non-stick pan. Sprinkle beans with spices. Heat on medium heat, stirring, until spices become fragrant.
2. Add purée and stir until thoroughly mixed.
3. Add 4 ounces of vegetable broth, stirring to mix well.
4. Add water until the desired consistency is achieved.
5. Add liquid smoke. Continue stirring until heated through, about five minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy!